Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Interview : Leon Marin . Runaway Owl's Society Exclusive

Interview By Mr. Owl


Leon Marin is an up & coming music artist hailing from Gowanus Housing, Brooklyn, NY .
Skillful lyricism and great storyteller. 
So take the time to read the interview , watch the videos and listen to is music and if you like the 
interview leave some comments.





Mr Owl: Would you please give a quick introduction of yourself for people who don't know you.
  Leon Marin: My name is Leon Marin. I’m an up and coming music artist from Brooklyn, Ny, trying to set a huge impact on the music industry. I’m 19, so I’m still young, & I’m just learning the ins & outs of this industry.



How did your career start and did you start with music?
  Leon Marin: My career started a little over 2 years ago. I started writing poetry when I was 6 years old & actually started taking it seriously from around the ages 9 to 11. I’ve been rapping on my block since I was 12 & when I met my manager, Brian BFury Maldonado, that’s when everything started to come together & we started making music projects we could put on the Internet.



What are your future projects and what can we expect for 2011- 2012 ?
  Leon Marin: Well, I just released a mixtape titled, L.E.O.N. - Love Everything Over Nothing, which is available to download for free on leonmarin.bandcamp.com 
For the future, you can expect more songs & maybe even a mixtape or an album. I’m actually unsure of where I wanna take the next project. I’m still panning ideas with people in my circle & figuring out what’s the next best move. More music is definitely on the way though.



What about touring, do you plan to do a tour outside the states, or maybe even over seas?
  Leon Marin: I definitely plan to tour outside the states & over seas when my management & I get our ideas together. I think it would be a great experience to perform in front of new faces & discover what other people from completely different background are listening to. It’d be a great way of expanding my mind & my musical talent.



Who are your role models?
  Leon Marin: First, I’d have to start with my mother. Being a single mother is hard! Knowing that she raised me the best she could & actually did a good job at it is a blessing. There’s tons of kids who’ve had it worse than me & I thank God that she raised me & didn’t leave me alone like some mothers do to their children. Secondly, my manager because he’s like a father figure to me in every way possible. My father passed away when I was 9 years old & It was a really dreadful to situation. It was hard for me to understand why he was gone & it took a huge toll on my attitude and the way I’ve treated people. My manager actually gets me to remain calm & keeps my head in music, school, family, & most of all, God.







Who and what are your inspirations for making music?
  Leon Marin: I’d definitely have to say Kanye West. That man single handily brought a good portion of real Hip Hop back! He’s a definitely a force to be reckoned with. Besides that, definitely Jay-Z, Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur,  Drake, Big Sean, Rick Ross, Kid Cudi. Honestly, I love all types of music! If I could make a list, it’d be going on for days, maybe even weeks.


What have been the ups and downs since you started making music?
  Leon Marin: Well the love and recognition i’ve received from people that i didn’t think liked me in the first place is incredible. The downfalls are actually meeting certain artists. Let me explain. Some artists I’ve met are actually really cocky. So when I want to collaborate, it’s kind of like I have to leave emotions aside & just speak to these artists on “professional terms”. The downfall of that has been that I’m such a passionate person in general, that sometimes I don’t know how to speak to these artists the right way & my words come out all wrong. So I guess my downfall is  communication, but i’m working on it. The ups are always there though. Making money, gaining fans, & getting love.



What's the meanest thing ever said to you before, during, or after a gig?
  Leon Marin:  The meanest thing.... Hmmmmm.... Okay! I was at a show in New Jersey For A List Radio, & right before I got on stage, I got booed. The whole place was booing me & I didn’t even know why. I rapped two songs, “Don’t Hurt My Baby” & “How To Be A Man” & after that, the crowd blessed with major love & a huge applause. It felt really good!




What was the first l.p./cd/cassette and or mixtape you ever bought with your own money?
  Leon Marin: The first cd I bought with my own money was definitely not rap at all. I think it was a Mario cd. I’m still a big fan of Mario. My second cd was definitely, The Black Album by Jay-Z though.



How do you spoil yourself?
  Leon Marin: Honestly, I wouldn’t know. If it’s not just living, I guess it would be music. Put me in a studio for hours & I feel super spoiled because I really love to do this music.








  Leon Marin: Man oh man! It goes both ways. Sometimes New York is a real drag! Stuck up women, these artists are way too cocky, the food is fattening, & my borough is sometimes real ignorant. Then again, some of these women are real beautiful & understand respect, some of these artists are great artists & really have a passion for music, the food can be very delicious, & my borough is actually a really historical place to be. Like I said, it really goes both ways depending on how you look at it.



Who's been supporting you and your career?
  Leon Marin: Definitely my mother. Since day one, while everyone was saying he’s trash, my mother always told me to keep going with music no matter what! Then came everyone else!



Who/What do you think is overrated in the rap game?
  Leon Marin: Well... I’d rather not say who’s overrated because that depends on a lot of things. My take on it is, if these artists made it then they must’ve made it for a reason. They’re marketable & they’re getting money, so why should I hate for!? Besides that, What’s overrated? Absolutely everything! I’m tired of hearing about money, women, cars, clothes, & drugs they most likely aren’t selling. Materialism is cool but I won’t have it when I’m dead. Let’s talk about something that can touch people more. So yes! I’m tired of hearing the some old songs about nonsense on the radio.



Who would be your ideal diner guest, living or dead, and what would you serve theme + what music would you play?
  Leon Marin: Honestly... Tupac Shakur. & I’d just serve him a Cheeseburger Deluxe because that’s what i’d eat. What would I play him? Honestly all 90’s music and some of my music which I feel is meaningful. That’s be a real dope experience for me.



Thank you for taking the time out to speak to us any final words, and or shout outs you wanna give?
  Leon Marin: Everyone check out my music at leonmarin.bandcamp.com & also if you like what you hear, like my facebook artist page, Facebook.com/LeonMarinsMusic

Shout outs to my mother, Reel Team Films, Silvia P. Namis, Gowanus, LivLifeProductions LLC, The Dream Team- Christian Milo, Olivia, K. Stackz, Wilsonman, Manuel Silva, Perrion, Dev Jetson, Lucky B. Shout outs To Danny. Shout outs to So Strong Ent., & City Tech Peoples. Shout Outs To Angel Mendez, Rum Santana, For Peets Sake, Soho Whit, Chris Alex, Corey Sheen, P.E., Lost Productions, Ak The Underachiever, Noah Bility, Jared, Steph Bambino,  Katt Droz,  Denisha Iamfashion, FlyeGhi Shaun, Ladi G, Boro Hall, Tito, Ra Diggs, Cardier, Q. Handsome, Msdot Mandy, Daze, Tiffany Salisha, Eric Richardson, Catch 22, Tony Polo, Jedi P., Bossman, Courtney Anthony, Leo Simone, Lotta, Nyc Florus, Jewlez Milla, L.O.R.D., Gravey Mike, Falconbase, Draii Rynell, Fresh Bozz, Christina Marie, Ty Evans, Shalanna Vanna Wilhelmsen, Radamiz, A.D.D.- A Dynamic Duo, Chelsea Reject, Corey Cash, Perry, Kev, Ryan Harrison, Kelz Tatz, Aj, Swift, Kenny GoGetta, Ahmaad, Frank Ramz, Shortman Score, Cocoa Sarai, Wordspit, L.A.- Latasha Alcindor, Bryant Fresh Spez, Ebony Love, Hugo From TwentyFourOz.Com, Jameel From ThisGoesIn.Com, Shirley, Omar Mendoza, Eagle, Mike Mezzl, Dizzy Best, Shakir Damis,  Maricarmen, Tony Martin, Crisp, Mike O’Leary, & The Chief. Honestly! Shout Outs To Everyone! Everyone just keep your head up & keep grinding! & I almost forgot! BIG SHOUT OUT TO MY FANS! I REALLY DO LOVE YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!
Big shout out to Runaway Owl’s Society for interviewing me. Much love!
Peace out !! 




Dope music/ Hip-Hop by Leon Marin












Leon Marin on the Web :


www.facebook.com/LeonMarinsMusic
http://leonmarin.bandcamp.com
twitter.com/#!/LeonMarinsStory


Many thanks to Leon Marin for the time he give me .
Final note : support the overground Hip-Hop, support your local scene. 
Be part of the Going up movement = Support Share Support.

No comments:

Post a Comment