Monday, November 14, 2011

Exclusive Interview : Jéan P .Runaway Owl's Society exclusive

Interview by Mr. Owl 


Once again, i am proud to present a dope artist, skillful lyricism, lady and gentleman : Jéan P
                                                                                      Mr. Owl

1.(Mr. Owl) Would you please give a quick introduction of yourself for people who don't know you.

(Jéan P) My name is Jéan P. An MC, student, dad, Hip-Hop addict who frequently relapses every time I turn on my iTunes. I representing Canton, OH aka the 330.


  2.How your career started and how did you started to make music?

 I've been interested in hip-hop since the age of six years old. I never told people because they would look at me and instantly say I wouldn't  make the cut. I was picked on alot in my younger years so music and writing was what made me happy as a child, hell it still makes me happy to this day. My career as an emcee started when I went to Ohio University. I linked up with DJ iShine and he began producing all of my projects. I started performing alot on campus and over Ohio. Alot of blog posts and albums later. Still pushing and blessing the world with the real music.


  2.5 When and how did you start working with Lakim?

 I was introduced to my homie Lakim through an emcee named Amor Jones who is from Columbus but currently lives in Cali. Amor always sends me unreleased jams and stuff and he sent me a jam from this cat named Lakim. At the time I was like "Damn man who made that jam?!". He told me to get at Lakim on Twitter, I told him I was looking for some beats and he sent me some jams the next day. All of the joints he sent me were so damn dope! They were originally going to appear on Will Rap 4 Food but I decided to hold off because these were some gems. I asked Lakim could we just do a collaboration project and he was down. Luckily he sent me the jams before his hiatus awhile back because he was sick. I had to do justice for the homie and represent his production well.


  3.What are your future project and what can we expect for 2011- 2012 ?

 Well besides the "Opposites Attract" album I'm working on two hopeful projects. One is done but I plan on revising it a little. It's a mixtape with BOOM! (http://www.producedbyboom.bandcamp.com). Also my next album which is still untitled and still in the concept process. Overall I'm going to be focusing alot of my time towards school and my son. Hip-Hop will still be apart of my life but there is always the back up plan with school. Education comes first to me and I almost risked it. I was suspended last year from school due to my academic effort and putting much of my time into the music. I learned from my mistakes and I'm ready to come back full force. Jéan P wants to be a successful emcee and also a college graduate.


  4.What about touring, do you plan to do a tour outside the states, or maybe even over seas?

 Oh man I'd love to! You should book me in Toronto haha. That's a huge dream of mine. Lord willing this could happen for me. There's is a whole movement of fans and listeners overseas. Plus it would be good to go abroad. 




The album is dropping on 11.22.11


  5.Who are your role models?

 My uncle Jerry is now of my role models and the first person with a mic I looked up to. He's a friend and true supporter of my music. Someone I can talk to about anything and I learn alot from him.  


  6.Who and what are your  inspiration to making music?

I am a HUGE A Tribe Called Quest fan. Q-Tip is the dude I always admired. His style and lyrics amaze me to this day. I'm not gonna front and say I don't have inspiration from other artists. Alot of rappers try to say they don't have influences like they just up and picked up a mic by themselves. I like Tribe, Jeru The Damaja, De La Soul, Kanye, Evidence, Gang Starr, man I just love hip-hop. If it's dope I'm listening to it.


  7.What have been the ups and downs since you started making music?

The ups and have been the buzz, shows, blogs, and the gift God has given me to make music and touch people. The downs can be the fact that the revenue is low LOL. Can't eat from downloads and I don't get paid for every show I do. But overall man I experience alot of ups when I grab the mic. Hip-Hop makes me happy.


  8.What's the meanest thing ever said to you before during or after a gig?

I had a line in a song where I said "Probably recognize me from my Twitter or my Facebook" and some asshole football player was like "Lame!". I wanted to throw my mic at him and embarass him but I kept rhyming. It's all good. He didn't make it to th eNFL anyway. hahaha


  9.What was the first lp/cd/cassette and or mixtape you ever bought with your own money?

"Get Rich Or Die Tryin'" by 50 Cent. I had some money I saved up and I bought the CD and Def Jam Fight For NY on PS2. Greatest day of my life. My dad was very religious so he was pissed off when he seen my mom let me buy it. That CD was classic.


  10. How do you spoil yourself?

LRG or Chipotle. When I get money I never know what to buy but most of it goes to my son if he needs anything. Sometimes I buy records because I just got a Maschine so I'll make a few beats. Overall I spoil myself by whatever I feel I want or need.


  11.Talk about your hometown? 

Canton, OH is my home man. I was born and raised here and it made me the man I am. On a realistic standpoint there's nothing here unless you have a career. Alot of desolate places and people struggling. We have the Pro Football Hall Of Fame but that's about it. I love my city to death and for those who know me they are proud of what I am doing. The people motivate me to keep going and that's what I'm going to do. When I get to a strong place in my career I'm going to do all that I can to contribute to Canton, OH. It's my home and you always take care of home and never forget where you come from.


  12.Who's been supporting you and your career? 

Financially you mean? Well if that's the case then that's all me, myself and I. I kind of like knowing I take care of everything myself with the exception of  producers who contribute to my album and also those who design my album covers.  Other than that all me and my homie DJ iShine.


  13. What do you think is overrated in the rap game?

Hmmmm.....there are a few overrated rappers out right now but I'm not going to say any names. Not all rappers are about money, cars and clothes. Some of us emcees are actually creative out here. Shoutout to the real.


  14.Tell us about fatherhood.

Fatherhood is cool man. It's different because I'm only 21 but things happen. I love my son Amir to death and he's already vibing to music. He bobs his head like a true hip-hop head. Being a dad comes with responsibility also. At times when I wanna cop something for myself I can't unless my seed is taken care of you know? ITt's crazy because when I look at him I see me. Damn man that's tight! hahaha


  15. Who would be your ideal diner guest, living or dead, and what would you serve them + what music would you play?

Well, I'd go to Chipotle. I'd take Chaka Khan to Chiptole because it's random and I bet it would be pretty awkward. We'd probably play "N***** In Paris" on repeat and do the cooking dance...in Chipotle!


  16. thank you for taking the time out to speak to us any final words, and or shout outs you wanna give?

Shoutout to Runaway Owl's Society! Thank you for supporting me and my music. "Oposites Attract" is coming from myself and Lakim! 11.22.11


Dope music/Hip-Hop by Jéan P











Jéan P on the net.

twitter.com/#!/jeanpthemc
jeanpthemc.com
arhymeandadream.com
jeanpthemc.bandcamp.com

Thanks to Jéan P for the time  he give me to make this interview .
Support your local Hip-Hop.
Peace.
         Mr. Owl


No comments:

Post a Comment